- Take Action
- Our Work
- Santa Monica Pier Aquarium
- Be a Member
- En Español
Volunteer by cleaning up the bay
- Nothin' But Sand monthly cleanups are open to all and are great for community service hours.
- Adopt-A-Beach and your group or club can receive a California Coastal Commission certificate of recognition.
- Corporate Healers can sponsor a company wide cleanup and give back while enjoying a fun day in the sun.
- Coastal Cleanup Day - the largest volunteer day on the planet - is September 21.
We Have a Variety of Cleanups That Help You to Heal the Bay
If you want to help protect the ocean you love from pollution, Heal the Bay can help. From volunteering with your friends and family at one of our monthly beach cleanups, choosing your favorite beach for a year of cleanups, to helping orchestrate an event for your own company, there are many ways you can protect what you love.
Nothin' But Sand Schedule
More About Cleanups
Learn About Pollution
- Third Saturday of each month, 10 a.m.-noon.
- Open to the public.
- If you’re bringing more than 15 volunteers, contact us the week prior to the cleanup to insure available supply quantities.
- To reduce your wait time in line, download and sign your liability waiver now.
- Nothin' But Sand is the only event at which we verify service hours.
- Check the sidebar on the right or the Events Calendar for scheduled locations.
- Requires a commitment of 3 cleanups in one year.
- You choose the location, date and time, but we require a minimum of 3 weeks’ notice in order to be able to accommodate your group.
- All groups must have at least 15 participants.
- A volunteer or staff speaker will meet you either before the cleanup date or at the beach day of to provide cleanup supplies and instruction.
- Once you know your three chosen dates submit your request online.
- Tour the Environmental Learning Center at Hyperion Treatment Plant. (Students expected to arrive at 10 a.m. for docent lead tour)
- Field trip for 5th-12th grade ONLY. Followed with a beach cleanup on the sand.
- Maximum of 60 students. Minimum of 40 students.
- Bus stipend available for Title I school. (Restrictions apply)
- Requires a commitment to host two on-campus schoolyard cleanups if applying for transportation funding.
- Volunteer or staff speaker will meet you at the beach day of to provide cleanup supplies and instructions.
- Download, print and submit a Request Form today.
Corporate Healer Beach Cleanup
- Build corporate spirit, feature specific brand(s) and promote your company's environmental stewardship and volunteer efforts.
- Choose from the available levels of Corporate Healers Sponsorship and benefits.
- Enjoy a private branded experience, tailored for an exclusive beach cleanup with your peers.
- Give your team the chance to help conserve our coastal resources after receiving an educational presentation.
- Cleanup at one of our recommended beach sites (Dockweiler, Playa del Rey, Venice and Santa Monica), or choose your own site for a flexible event.
- Receive one-time access to the Heal the Bay logo for use on any outreach or promotional materials (press releases, mailers, posters, T-shirts, hats, giveaways, etc.).
- Submit your request online at least three weeks in advance of your preferred date.
- For more information, contact us and ask for Eveline or Danielle.
Coastal Cleanup Day
- The largest volunteer day on the planet.
- Takes place the third Saturday of every September.
- Heal the Bay coordinates more than 50 beach, inland, dive and kayak cleanup sites in L.A. County.
- Learn about the next Coastal Cleanup Day on Sept. 20, 2014.
Each person absolutely must have a signed waiver to participate in a beach cleanup. You can sign them onsite, but please remember to send your child with a pre-signed waiver if you aren’t going to be at the cleanup.
To secure discounted parking fees at Los Angeles County Beaches ONLY, you must make arrangements prior to your scheduled beach cleanup date(s) by contacting "Parking Concepts Inc." at (310) 821-1081 or you will be required to pay the posted rates. Parking without a permit will result in a citation.
The cost is reduced to 50% of the Early Bird Rate. The early bird rate applies regardless of the time of arrival and school buses are three times this amount. Please note that payment must be made with P.C.I. much prior to the requested date.
In all City operated beaches and parking lots you are required to pay the full posted rates. This includes (but is not limited to) Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach and San Pedro. Parking without proper permission will result in a citation.
What to Wear and Bring
Of course, you should always wear sunscreen and a hat. You need to wear closed-toe shoes, to make sure you don’t step on anything sharp, and make sure to bring plenty of water – preferably in a reusable bottle.
How to Stay Safe
Sometimes at beach cleanups we find sharp or dangerous items. Never pick up anything that looks like it could be medical waste or broken glass, any kinds of needles or weapons, or any dead animal. Alert your cleanup captain or a lifeguard. Don’t approach any wild animal, even if it seems sick or injured. And always be careful—watch your footing on rocks and never turn your back on the waves.