- Take Action
- Our Work
- Santa Monica Pier Aquarium
- Be a Member
- En Español
Coastal Cleanup Day 2014
Join the biggest volunteer event on earth.
Oceans cover 71% of our planet.
They provide up to 70% of the oxygen we breathe.
And they need 100% of our help.
On September 20, join hundreds of thousands of other volunteers around the world -- including over 10,000 Los Angeles residents -- in showing some love for our most valuable natural resource.
What is Coastal Cleanup Day?
Quite possibly, it's the world's biggest beach party.
Volunteers from Huntington Beach to Hong Kong will do their part to clean up their local beaches, rivers, creeks and parks on Saturday, September 20.
Last year alone, 648,015 volunteers in 92 countries collected over 12 MILLION pounds of ocean-bound garbage. There's no other single-day volunteer event that even comes close to the impact of Coastal Cleanup Day.
Here in L.A., Heal the Bay is hosting over 60 cleanup sites to choose from.
How do i sign up?
C.C.D. It's easy as 1, 2, 3...4!
2. Register. RSVP via Eventbrite to give us an idea of how many people to prepare for. It’ll also send you a reminder closer to the cleanup. (You only need to bring your completed waiver to your cleanup site--please don't print out your registration!)
4. Be there! Better start setting those alarm clocks. We need you at 9 a.m. on Saturday, September 20!
We're using Thunderclap to get the word out and local startup Klickly to bring some funding in. If you use Facebook or Twitter, please help us reach our goal: We need 250 Thunderclap participants to make a massive, simultaneous tweet go out on Saturday morning! If we succeed, the virtual "butterfly effect" of the Thunderclap could be, well...thunderous!
1. Join the Thunderclap. Pledge to join our online flashmob!
2. Once you join, tweet or Facebook the link to your networks.
3. If we reach our goal by Saturday morning, the Thunderclap will send out a Tweet or Facebook post on your behalf encouraging $8 CCD donations. This could be huge.
You can also help by spreading the word among your social networks. Here are some sample tweets to get you started:
- Defend our coast: Join the Thunderclap for #CoastalCleanupDay! http://bit.ly/1txcMTF #8fortheBay
- Raise your voice for a clean ocean this #CoastalCleanupDay! http://www.klickly.com/1nyy5i92ao #8fortheBay
- I love the ocean and I tweet. Join the Thunderclap: http://bit.ly/1txcMTF #8fortheBay
Good news: Parking will be FREE at ALL cleanup sites! Download and print a parking pass and bring with you.
Feel free to contact Rey Montaño, Heal the Bay's Coastal Cleanup Day Coordinator, with any questions or concerns.
Need information on cleanup sites elsewhere in California? Contact the California Coastal Commission at 1-800-COAST4U.